VoIP for Mobile

MOBILE VOIP

Can I save money on my mobile phone bill?

Yes. By connecting your mobile phone to Conversant using your Internet connection you can save lots of money, particularly on international calls.

Can I make VoIP calls via cellphone?

Some phones (e.g. Android phones, Apple iPhone) allow you to install software on them that can connect to your Conversant extension. This software uses an Internet connection and the calls go over that, so you pay Conversant's low per minute rates rather than expensive cellphone rates. If you have a basic mobile phone then you can't use it to make calls using Conversant.

Receiving VOIP calls on my mobile

If you have installed a VoIP app on your smartphone and registered it with Conversant, then you can receive calls on you a smartphone at no cost. Note that data charges may apply. If you have a basic mobile phone (or you don’t have wifi or mobile data coverage) then you can't receive calls for free - you need to forward calls to your mobile phone and you will be billed at our low per minute rate.

Making VOIP calls on my mobile

If you have installed a VoIP app on your smartphone and registered it with Conversant, there are two ways that your phone can connect.

1. Using the phone's wifi connection to connect to your broadband connection. In this case you will pay data charges to your normal ISP e.g. your ADSL provider

2. Using the phone's cellular data connection, also known as 3G, 3.5G, or HSDPA. In this case you will pay data charges to your cellular provider. Note that a VoIP call only consumes about 0.5MB per minute of calling, so a 5 minute call might cost about 7c of mobile data.
    Who bills me for what?
    When you make a VoIP call from your mobile phone there are two costs:

The call cost which is billed to you by Conversant (effectively you are calling out from your Conversant extension number).
The data cost which is billed to you by whoever provides the data connection.

Will my mobile connection be reliable enough?

Using most mobile phones over the WiFi connection works well provided your WiFi connection doesn't suffer packet loss, latency or jitter. While we have had excellent results with LTE connections, using the cellular data connection is less certain because the quality of the data network can vary. For example in an area where the data network is not very good, you may still be able to make cellular voice calls. Reliability is not due to the type of phone being used but instead the nature of the cellular network.

How much bandwidth is required for each call?

Consider about 100 kbps for a good quality call.

What cellphones are recommended for Conversant?

Any mobile that runs Android V2.1, or later, or iOS 4.0+ and has WiFi or HSDPA or better.

Do you recommend using a cellphone or desktop?

This is a personal choice and we recommend that you do some testing before making a final decision. We offer a 30 day money back guarantee to enable you to try out the various options. There are trade-offs between mobility and call quality. Hardware phones tend to be more reliable because they only exist for one purpose and use a wired connection. They also tend to be easier to use because they have dedicated buttons for call transfer, voicemail etc.. On the other hand mobile phones are very convenient and cost effective.